I have a love/hate relationship with makeup setting- and fixing sprays, more often leaning towards the “hate” side. My lovely sister-in-law was once again my makeup mule and bought the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray for me to test and see what the fuss is about. Seeing that Urban Decay opened up recently in Sandton I thought it would be fitting to do a review. I really love Urban Decay as a brand, I think the NAKED palettes are incredible quality (probably my most used palette) and the primer potion is the best eyeshadow primer I have ever used. I dislike setting sprays for many reasons including:
- It makes my skin feel sticky and I am constantly aware of the ‘film’ it leaves on my face which I absolutely hate.
- Most setting sprays aggravate/creates oiliness in my T-zone that I wouldn’t normally struggle with seeing as I have dry skin.
- It doesn’t really make a significant difference as to how well my makeup lasts.
Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray
Product: The Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray is seen as the holy grail of makeup setting sprays. Many a YouTuber has raved about how long this product makes your makeup lasts etc. According to Urban Decay’s website the All Nighter Setting Spray will give you up to 16-hours of flawless makeup wear without your makeup cracking, fading or settling into the creases. Urban Decay is also proud of the Temperature Control Technology which they claim lowers the temperature of your foundation, blush etc which then keeps your makeup in place even when exposed to elements like heat, humidity, cold conditions and wind.
What did I like about the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray?
- The product dries very quickly once sprayed onto my skin.
- I am very pedantic about the tackiness that almost comes standard with fixing-and setting sprays and I am happy to report that the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray is comfortable to wear without me feeling like I am constantly aware that I have a face. It is the first setting spray I have tried that didn’t make me want to wash my face within the first hour. This is revolutionary when taking to consideration how much I have disliked setting sprays up to now. It really feels light weight and you will forget you have it on.
- It gives my skin a healthy, dewy glow and makes my makeup look more natural and youthful.
- For me it definitely makes a big difference in terms of how long my makeup lasts, especially when I spray it on my skin prior to foundation application.
What did I not like about the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray?
- Unfortunately the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray still induce some mild oiliness in my T-zone, but I notice this more in the hot, humid summer months than in winter when my skin is extremely dry.
- My foundation still occasionally cracks and settles into fine lines, but this happens significantly later than what it normally would have if I didn’t use this setting spray.
- I think the pump mechanism can be better. I would ideally have liked a gentler mist instead of the full force spray it has.
Price: R450/€27. If you are in South Africa you can order this amazing product here.
What did I think? As mentioned in the intro, I am/was really not a big fan of the first generation makeup setting sprays. The Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray however surprised and impressed me beyond my expectations. The more I use it, the more I like it and it has since became a staple in my makeup bag. I rarely apply makeup nowadays without a spritz of this product before or after makeup application. I have since tried other setting sprays that I also didn’t like, so it seems like Urban Decay just did something right with this product and I am pretty much a big devotee now.
Will I buy this product again? Yes, absolutely.