Hi lovely readers,
This year I have been the worst blogger ever! I basically neglected my blog into non-existence over the course of the last five months. However unfortunate it has been and I missed all the interaction with my darling readers and fellow bloggers, life just sometimes happens. I am sure a lot of you can relate? I do however feel it might be time for some sort of explanation before I dive right back into beauty reviews as if nothing happened. There are two purposes to this post: 1) to finally share my news/where I have been the last five months and 2) to give you some insight in how I currently feel about my blog and future in blogging.
1) Let’s spill the main beans first….. I am pregnant with our first baby. I am already more than halfway through my pregnancy and it has been quite a rollercoaster ride so far. We are expecting a baby girl and if all goes well then she will join our family in September. My darling friend Sarah from Mascara & Mimosas has been poking fun at me for being such a Kylie Jenner about my pregnancy, haha. It is probably a bit ridiculous to even announce so late in the pregnancy, but here I am I think my reservation was mainly a combination of having had the worst nausea and vomiting for months on end, my gallbladder just packed up from all the pregnancy hormones causing me a lot of excruciating pain, illness and doctor’s visits, not to forget the ordinary fears and anxieties that comes standard with every pregnancy. This is a second pregnancy for me as I have had a miscarriage a few years ago and it was quite a traumatic experience at the time. So I think it was only natural to be so cautious this time around.
I have drafted a second post about where I elaborate more about the above mentioned points and the things I have learned/surprised me thus far during my pregnancy. The post will be up tomorrow so if you are keen for a tiny mini-rant then be sure to stop by We only shared the news with immediate family, a few close friends and made a small announcement on our personal Instagram accounts recently. Jean and I have discussed it and made the decision that we are not going to prominently feature the baby on our social media accounts – neither of us are very active on our personal accounts anyway. This goes for The Secret Board as well – for me it is my personal little space shielded from ‘real’ life where I can talk about my passion for makeup and skincare and let’s be honest, I am not mom-blogger material by a long shot – I think I will just upset people constantly 😀 It’s obviously not to say I won’t be talking about my pregnancy or the baby every now and then (all while I am sitting here in IKEA, typing away, thinking of great pregnancy content – what a hypocrite, right?? :D) It just means that I am not going to change the main focus of my blog away from makeup to motherhood and pregnancy content. So things on The Secret Board will continue to as usual. Which brings me to my second point:
2) I had a chat with Sarah recently about how we have both noticed that blogging as we know it is changing at the speed of light. In a way it feels like nobody is really reading blogposts anymore (including me! The amount of blogs I read now vs. what I used to a couple of years ago are vastly different.) The general ‘vibe’ in the blogging community is also greatly different to how it used to be and almost became a tiny bit toxic at times? Instagram and subsequently focussing on micro-blogging seem to almost be the only platform still worthwhile investing precious time and energy in. Even as a reader I can relate in my own recent behaviour: I rarely read actual blogposts anymore as I often find them to be quite generic and uninspiring these days. I am seldom, if ever, active on Facebook and Twitter anymore – both for my personal and blog accounts. Instagram is the only platform that I still actively follow throughout the day and I am sometimes surprised at how much I enjoy all the Instastories. Maybe it is that instant gratification thing?
I have also noticed that life is really hard at the moment for a lot of bloggers and quite a few, like me, has basically abruptly stopped producing content and social media posts. The longer this personal hiatus for me goes on, the less motivated I am becoming in producing new content and returning to regular blogging. I have done some thinking over the last few months and I am now sort of at a crossroad in terms of The Secret Board for the following reasons:
- The pregnancy has really kicked my butt thus far and I am sure when the baby is here I am not exactly going to have more time on my hands either to produce interesting content. I have this constant guilt about neglecting my blog, not ‘finishing’ what I have started and as time goes on I feel less in the mood to continue entertaining these feelings. Life is short, I don’t want to spend my time feeling guilty about what is essentially a hobby. But I am a goody-two-shoes and that is what we do – feel guilty.
- I really enjoy reading the occasional mom blogpost that resonate with me and I have actually been paying more attention to their posts/social media. I know absolutely nothing about childcare and should probably start figuring it out soon, right? However, I am not mom blogger material myself – at this point I do not have any burning desire to churn out content about the baby or the pregnancy or the birth or the hardship of it. I love reading about other’s experiences, I just do not really have a massive lot to say about my own. Not because I am secretive or trying to get attention – it is just not something that makes me want to sit down in front of my computer and type myself into a mild form of Carpel Tunnel.
- I do however LOVE testing makeup products and writing about it. It has always been my passion and focus of The Secret Board. But with me no longer living in South Africa I kind of feel more and more detached and as if my readers perhaps cannot relate to my products anymore. I decline invites to launches (in SA) on a daily basis, I need to email PR’s that unfortunately I only receive my press drops a couple of times a year when I am in SA or my mother-in-law comes to visit, I sometimes do not have the faintest ideas of what a product retails for in South Africa. I also buy and use a lot of makeup and skincare products that are not available in South Africa and I am not sure if you guys still want to know about it? As you can obviously gather, I am a bit lost in limbo. I have a South African audience which I absolutely love and adore, but it feels like it is slipping away due to me not being able to attend launches and tell you guys about new products or specials at Clicks etc. I would love your opinions on this. Do you feel that you can still relate to the content I have been putting out the last year or so?
- On the other hand: more and more bloggers and readers are moving all over the world. We are a nomadic generation. Maybe I have just not quite figured out how to sync the idea in my head of what my blog should be to this worldwide trend? Once again, would love your opinion on this.
- Another point I have to touch on: I do not wear that much makeup anymore. I am not going to hug the toilet with a full face of makeup on. I am also working from home whereas previously I had an office job and interacted with human being everyday. I don’t think the DHL-outjie will truly appreciate my on fleek eyebrows or angelic Hourglass highlighter, right? We are also in the process of building a house and preparing for the baby of course – so my shopping priorities have obviously changed a bit and I haven’t bought new makeup recently. So my constant flow of new products are slowly drying up.
- On the other hand: I have so many beauty products lined up to be reviewed and I have come to the conclusion that I have come this far and actually love this little space I have created. The Secret Board has been an escape for me when I have felt happy, excited, overwhelmed, sad, lost and I don’t quite want to give up on it yet. I think I am going to use the last few months before the baby comes to return to blogging as usual and maybe focussing on Instagram a bit more and then evaluate how I feel in a few months. Who knows, my mojo might return and perhaps I will be more inspired than ever?
If you made it this far into the post, thank you so much! I would really like some opinions from you guys about my blog – please feel free to leave a comment below.