January really is not my month! I always try to take a mental, social media, work, blog- and obligation break (i.e a proper actual break) from mid-December and although I enjoy it thoroughly, it always results in me struggling to find my mojo come January. This year is no different and I have been putting off returning to normally day-to-day life, better eating, more exercising and reality for a few days over my anticipated starting date.
I posted a tweet last week that I seem to be properly stuck in sloth-mode and this morning I had every intention to bounce preparing for blogposts by another week and go back to bed. Which I did of course. While mindlessly scrolling through social media, I read Simone from An Ordinary Gal’s Instagram post where she asked what her readers’ makeup and skincare goals for 2018 were. This triggered some sudden inspiration for me and well, here I am, writing my very first blogpost for 2018 (granted, I am fully payama-ed up sitting in bed with two cats on top of me and a steaming cup of coffee, but still). Thank you for the much needed inspiration, Simone! You can find the link to her awesome blog here.
Generally I am not a fan of New Year resolutions and I become even less so inclined as I am getting older. This non-resolution-making is even less so now that we live in a country where the ‘new’ year in terms of schools etc starts in September and there is a very short break around Christmas. So New Years feels even more backwards and non-event-ish now. To be very honest, I also do not understand why you will wait to be inspired to change something, learn a new skill or do something to improve your life by the first of a calendar year. Maybe I am just an old cranky bag, but if you want to change something, changing it in June or August is just as fine and good for you according to my logic. Having a specific time to start changing things up will just give me anxiety and make me feel pressurized. But enough about my bizarre attitude towards New Year’s resolutions!
Simone’s post got me thinking of what I would like to do skincare and makeup-wise in 2018. I would absolutely love to know what you are planning for 2018 in the beauty department! Please leave me a comment below or on social media.
1. I would absolutely love to go for laser treatment, micro-needling or whatever is the most effective option in terms of treating old acne scarring and hyper-pigmentation spots in my chin area. This scarring and pigmentation really affects my confidence and I would love to go out of the house without having to slap foundation on all the time. I am not really an expert in terms of what treatments are the most appropriate or best for reducing scarring/hyper-pigmentation, but I have started my research on the topic and hope to start soon. If you have undergone treatments, please be so kind to let me know what worked or didn’t work for you.
2. Simone mentioned in her post that she is completely over the winged-liner trend and I fully agree. I kind of feel that winged- or prominent liners had their moment, but it has since passed. I have never been particularly good at winged liner either, so I am pretty happy to finally put it to rest.
3. I have already started last year to streamline and slimdown my makeup routine and the amount of products I deem necessary for a polished look. I am getting more and more into natural, simple yet elegant makeup and less drawn to or wowed by extravagant looks. This was very much inspired by Blair Waldorf’s incredible makeup from my recent (second time!) binge watching of the Gossip Girl series. She wears mostly an understated eye look and a glossy, vibrant lip throughout the series and I think it is speaking more and more to me (maybe a sign of getting older!) in terms of finding/exploring my own style.
4. I have said this many times during the last few months, but this is above all probably the most significant change I will make during 2018: NO more matte makeup products! Except for blush and bronzer of course. I am so into lipglosses, juicy lipsticks, sheen finishes and sparkly eyeshadows nowadays and I am loving it!
5. As mentioned in a previous point, I have already started to slim down my makeup collection. This is an understatement actually: nearly 80% of my makeup is ready to be re-homed. I think it is pretty pointless to sit with drawers and drawers of makeup that I never use. As a blogger we test so much makeup and often once the review has been posted we stop using that specific product to test something new. Before you know it you need to purchase extra storage for makeup that is not even your shade or you no longer use. In 2018 I am saying ‘no’ to this hoarding.
6. I seriously need to try new shampoo and conditioners. Not that there is anything wrong with my current favourite! I am just so stuck in my Pureology Hydrating Range ways and I feel that it is time to try something new. I ordered the Moroccanoil Hydrating and Volume combo’s and started testing these newbies last week. I will of course do reviews as I go and who knows, I might just find a new favourite! If you are curious as to why I am so hung-up on Pureology, then you can click here to read my review.
7. Next up on my list of things I want to do better is cuticle care. I have the most amazing cuticle oils and yet I never use it. I am always deeply ashamed about the state of my cuticles when I go for a manicure and I would really like to put an effort in to be more religious with cuticle oil application.
8. I think my fear of breakouts, previous emotional trauma due to skin issues and my unpredictable skin has always turned me off from using face masks on a regular basis. I am however so inspired by Rayne from Make It Rayne blog of late. She uses face masks frequently (on a daily basis I think!) and has so many helpful reviews up on her blog. Be sure to stop by her blog if you are curious and also keen to jump on the face mask wagon. You can click here to be directed to Rayne’s blog.
9. I am so keen to go for professional teeth whitening again. My first experience was extremely painful and uncomfortable, but the results were amazing and thus worth it. I use Crest Whitening strips from time to time, but with consuming multiple cups of coffee etc on a daily basis, I feel it is time to go for professional whitening again. There is probably not much wrong with the shade of my teeth, but I do like my pearlies to be a stark, blinding white!
10. I am really getting into tripple cleansing, especially when I was wearing makeup. This is a new habit I have started in 2017 and hope to continue with it. So far my skin is loving it! I am planning to do a blogpost on what exactly I do and use in my cleansing routine soon.
11. I love nail polish and don’t even get me started on Gelish. Major love! But years and years of wearing Gelish has taken its toll and my natural nails are brittle and unhappy at the moment. So for 2018 I am planning to give my nails a break in the Gelish/polish department and hope to restore it to its former glory.
12. We are very fortunate to be able to travel often and I am getting better and better at streamlining what I pack for trips and holidays. I am also applying this of late to the makeup I take with when travelling and try to use products that have multiple purposes. This minimize the amount of makeup I am taking with on a trip, yet I get maximum use out of the products! Would you guys be keen on a blogpost to see with how little makeup I can actually travel? Please let me know in the comments or on social media.
13. I am going to be honest here: I suck at applying sunscreen religiously! Granted, I am mostly indoors, but I will often go for a quick 30-minute walk relying only on the SPF in my daydream or foundation. I know it is not good enough and I need to have a serious talk with myself.
14. I am hoping to cut down on my dairy consumption as I have noticed it definitely has an effect on the clarity of my skin. I have been in denial about this little fun fact for the longest time. As a proper dairy-addict, I think it is pretty pointless investing in treating my old breakout scarring and hyper-pigmentation if I am not doing what I can to prevent or minimize the risk for new breakouts. Yoghurt sadly seems to be a big culprit for me in the pimple-department and I will need to wave my yoghurt-habit goodbye. Probably cheese too. Milky coffees and lattes. And having a cream-makes-everything-better-attitude. Oh man, what is going to be left to live for?!
15. I am keen to continue using Rapid Lash Growth Serum on my eyelashes and brows! This miracle product has been doing WONDERS after my recent lash extensions DISASTER (It has to be in capitals as it truly was that horrendous!) and I promise to do a review soon. There are definitely a few things/difficulties you need to know about before using the product and in terms of expectations. A big thank you to Megan from By Megan Kelly blog for recommending this product in my darkest hour. You can catch her amazing blog here.
I hope you enjoyed my 15 ‘new year’s beauty resolutions’ for 2018 and please share yours!